Sprinters Usain Bolt and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce were on Friday night presented with the 2015 RJR Sports Foundation National Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year awards at the Jamaica Pegasus. Bolt was winning his sixth Sportsman of the Year award, after copping titles in 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2013, while Fraser-Pryce, who also won in 2012 and 2013, was winning her third Sportswoman of the year award. “I want to thank my fans, who supported me this season, I really needed it. I want to thank my coach, I put him through a lot of stress, he has stood by me this season … I want to thank God and I promise I will try to do my best this season,” said a grateful Bolt. Fraser-Pryce, who won gold medals in the 100m and 4x100m at last year’s World Championships in Beijing, China, as well as the Diamond League 100m title, was also presented with the Sagicor Iconic award. The sprinter has won two Olympic gold medals and seven at the World Championships level since her ‘arrival’ at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing. “Everything I have done is attributed to how much God has blessed me,” said Fraser-Pryce. “I am honoured to be here collecting this award a third time. I want to thank my coach for believing in me and putting up with me; and for me putting up with him sometimes.” Bolt’s award, which now puts him second in the all – time list behind boxer Michael McCallum (7) came after another dominant season by the powerful sprinter, who won three gold medals at the World Championships (100m, 200m and 4x100m). World Championships 100m hurdles gold medal winner Danielle Williams was the runner-up to the Sportswoman of the year, with shot put bronze medal winner O’Dayne Richards took home the male equivalent. The first award of the evening went to veteran quarter-miler and cancer survivor Novlene Williams-Mills, who was presented with the Chairman’s award. The People’s Choice Award for ‘Performance of the Year’ went to Jamaica’s senior women’s 4x400m relay team, which won gold at the World Championships, while former Netball Jamaica president Marva Bernard received the Lifetime Achievement Award.
Remi Garde 1 Alex McLeish believes Aston Villa should stick by manager Remi Garde, despite the club’s perilous Premier League position.The Frenchman took charge of the Villans in early November, but is yet to win a game. And with the Midlanders 11 points from safety, relegation to the Championship is looking inevitable.But McLeish, who was Villa boss between June 2011 and May 2012, feels it would be counter-productive for club owner Randy Lerner to change manager for the fourth time in less than four years.The Scot told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast: “I don’t know much about Remi, but he seems a sensible guy. Is he the guy to rebuild the club? Sacking him early doors is probably not the right answer.“I think all managers should be given a decent chance and Garde should be able to state his claim as to whether he can get Villa back into the big time again.“Will he get any more money? Randy [Lerner] wanted to get the wage bill down when I was there and we were quite successful in that but, at the end of the day, the fans aren’t going to congratulate you for sorting out the finances, they want the club back up the league where they feel Villa should be. It’s a huge club with a fantastic infrastructure but it’s gone a bit pear-shaped recently.“Garde has got a big fight ahead of him. If they are going to give him a chance he has to be able to rebuild it [the club].“If Aston Villa stay in the Premier League he will be the manager of the year. But it looks very, very unlikely.”
Vandals wrecked playground equipment in CarnDonegal County Council has been forced to close a much-loved playground after it was attacked again by vandals.Council staff are counting the cost of the vandalism over the weekend at Barrack Hill Park in Carndonagh.Vandals have caused a lot of damage to the park, which has resulted in the play area having to be closed until such time as the area can be made safe again for children to play in. The vandals also pulled off fences form the playgroundThis park is used widely by the children in the area and having it closed means that these children and their families are being deprived of a safe place to play and the opportunity to spend quality time in the outdoors.The Council is currently working with the Gardaí to investigate these incidences and every effort will be made to identify those responsible and to hold them to account for their actions.The Council is assessing the damage caused along with the cost of repairing this damage which will undoubtedly add a further burden to an already stretched budget.The Council is appealing to anyone with information on these incidences to contact the Gardaí in Carndonagh or the Council at 074 9153900 as soon as possible. DISGUST AND OUTRAGE AS VANDALS WRECK CHILDREN’S PLAYGROUND was last modified: March 3rd, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CarndonaghDonegal County Councilplaygroundvandals