Jan 22, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – Margaret Chan, the new head of the World Health Organization (WHO), warned today against relaxing the world’s defenses against a potential influenza pandemic, as two more human deaths from H5N1 avian flu were confirmed, one in Egypt and one in Indonesia.More deaths occurred in 2006 than in previous years combined, Chan said in her address to WHO’s executive board, according to an Agence Presse-France (AFP) report. She added that the fatality rate for H5N1 avian influenza rose to 70% last year, 10 points higher than the average since the current series of outbreaks began in 2003.”The message is straightforward: we must not let down our guard,” Chan said.The WHO confirmed today that a 27-year-old Egyptian woman from Beni Sweif governorate, about 62 miles south of Cairo, fell ill Jan 9 and died in the hospital Jan 19. Initial reports suggest there were sick and dead poultry in her home before she got sick. Egypt’s health ministry first announced that she had tested positive for H5N1 on Jan 18. Egypt has now had 19human cases with 11 deaths.Marking Indonesia’s sixth H5N1 case this year, the WHO confirmed today that a 26-year-old woman from West Java province experienced avian flu symptoms on Jan 11 and died in the hospital 8 days later. (Some media reports listed her age as 19.) Investigators said the woman had been involved in slaughtering sick chickens before she became ill. Indonesia’s H5N1 case count has reached 80, including 62 deaths.Seven patients who are suspected of having avian flu are being treated in an isolation room at Hasan Sadikin Hospital in Bandung, the Jakarta Post reported today.Chan voiced serious concern about the continued presence of H5N1 in birds as new outbreaks in poultry were reported in South Korea and Nigeria.”As long as the virus continues to circulate in birds, the threat of a pandemic will persist. The world is years away from control in the agricultural sector,” AFP quoted Chan as saying.Countries with widespread outbreaks in poultry flocks have failed to eradicate the virus, despite “heroic efforts,” Chan noted.After Vietnam experienced about a year-long lull in poultry outbreaks, the virus returned to the Mekong Delta in early December and has since spread to at least 8 provinces. The country had been widely hailed by international avian flu experts for its mandatory poultry vaccination program and strict disease-control efforts.Likewise, in South Korea avian flu returned to poultry farms in the towns of Iksan, Kimje, and Asan at the end of 2006 after a 3-year absence. Two days ago, South Korea’s agriculture ministry told the Associated Press it was preparing to slaughter 273,000 chickens in a fresh outbreak detected at a chicken farm in Cheonan, about 60 miles south of Seoul.In Nigeria, H5N1 avian flu has returned to poultry in Kano, the country’s northern commercial capital, a state health official said today, according to an AFP report. Outbreaks have been confirmed on at least 7 poultry farms in the city over the past 2 months, Shehu Bawa, head of Kano’s avian flu committee, told reporters.Tests on birds from two other northern states, Katsina and Sokoto, are underway at the national Veterinary Research Institute in Jos, according to the AFP report. Nigeria had its first H5N1 avian flu outbreak in birds in 2006; no human cases have been recorded.See also:Jan 22 WHO statement on Egyptian avian flu deathhttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2007_01_22a/en/index.htmlJan 22 WHO statement on Indonesian avian flu deathhttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2007_01_22/en/index.htmlJan 22 news release on WHO Executive Board meetinghttp://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2007/pr03/en/index.html
Indianapolis, In. — The United States Census Bureau has released the most recent data on Indiana home building, indicating a rise for single-family construction starts for August. Single-family permits are up 8% from July 2018 when 1,497 permits were pulled and also up 8% from August of last year when 1,502 permits were pulled. Overall the state stands at a 7% total increase for the first eight months of 2018 compared to 2017.“This statistical increase shows that Indiana residents still have a strong demand for newly built homes” said Indiana Builders Association President Pat Richard. “Our builders are continuing to work hard and meet homeowner expectations, fully aware of the ongoing affordability concerns that surround our industry.”Builder confidence in the market for newly built single-family homes remains unchanged in September at 67, on the National Association of Home Builders/Wells Fargo Housing Market Index (HMI). Any number over 50 indicates that more builders view sales conditions as good than poor.“Although we see an increase in starts for August, we are likely to see new home starts slow down a bit in the months ahead as we ease out of the proverbial building season” said Indiana Builders Association Chief Executive Officer Rick Wajda. “As we push forward, we are keeping a pulse on the continuing regulatory burdens for new home construction as well as the increasing costs on building materials due to tariffs imposed on a wide range of products.”
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — John Clay’s first carry of the game was a 46-yard rush to the Michigan 5-yard line in the second quarter. His second, a 5-yard touchdown run to complete the drive on the Badgers’ next play. Despite the strong start, though, the freshman carried the ball just one more time in the game as the Badgers’ offense struggled to score in the second half.“The coaches have a plan, so I follow their plan,” Clay said of his lack of carries. “Everything happens for a reason. The coaches had a plan for this game, so I just follow them.”After the touchdown run, Clay got just one second-half carry, a 1-yard gain.As for why Clay didn’t get more touches, Badger coach Bret Bielema didn’t go into much detail.“I ask our coaches to really try to analyze who’s in the ballgame and what gives us the best chance to win,” Bielema said, “and the players that are in there are the ones they felt did.”Injuries take toll once againWhile Jonathan Casillas looked to be at full strength in his second game back, the Badgers were once again banged up heading into the game against Michigan.Tight end Garret Graham, who had caught a touchdown pass in each of the team’s first three games, was out with a foot injury, and the receiving corps had been hurting throughout the week leading up to the game.“If we had to play a game last Saturday we probably would have had seven starters out of the game,” Bielema said. “And that obviously had a big effect on our preparation for this week.”Tight end Travis Beckum, whose penalty nullified the Badgers’ two-point conversion at the game’s end, also missed a significant amount of time during the week, and his status was still unsure even during the game.“If they don’t practice during the course of the week, [you] can’t count on them in the game,” Bielema said, Welch ties school recordAfter missing his first field goal attempt, it didn’t look like it was going to be a record-tying day for kicker Philip Welch. The freshman would go on to hit four more field goals, all in the first half, to equal the Wisconsin mark for made field goals in a game.“I can’t say enough about Philip, after missing that first one for him to battle back and connect the way he did,” Bielema said.Welch’s first attempt went wide from 34-yards out, but the kicker knew he couldn’t dwell on the miss.“I used that just to focus even more, and you got to have a good game no matter what even if you miss that,” Welch said.Welch’s last field goal, a 52-yarder, was the longest of his Badger career.Trickery results in first downFacing fourth-and-one at the Michigan 34-yard line in the first quarter, the Badgers used a bit of trickery to gain a first down. The punting unit came on the field and after lining up in his usual spot, punter Brad Nortman rushed to the quarterback position and was able to lure the Wolverine defense offside resulting in a Badger first down.“I did a hard count,” Nortman said. “We thought it was a good opportunity to swing things for our offense.”The 5-yard penalty added to the yards the Badgers gained on the next three plays, turning what would have been a 51-yard attempt into a 42-yard try for Welch.
The players sacked by relegated Nigerian Professional Football League (NPFL) side Shooting Stars have threatened to report the club to the National Association of Nigeria Professional Footballers (NANPF) over the club’s failure to settle their two months’ salaries.Shooting Stars have already started preparing for life in the Nigeria National League (NNL) after their relegation from the NPFL was confirmed in September. To this effect, the Ibadan-based outfit sacked 20 players in October and retained the same amount of players in addition to the appointment of former player Edith Agoye as nee head coach.Some of the players sacked by the Ibadan-based outfit include Wasiu Jimoh, Junior Merenini, Suraju Sadiq, Abu Azeez, Tolulope Olaifa and many more.The two months’ salaries of the sacked players were reportedly not paid by the club and the situation was aggravated by the club’s decision to pay the two months’ salaries of the retained players.In a chat with the Punch newspapers, one of the sacked players said:“It was surprising when we heard that the players retained were paid their two months’ salaries while we were left out of the payment.“Shooting Stars are owing us July and August salaries and we expected that the money would come along with those who have been paid but that didn’t happen. We contacted the team manager and some other officials of the club about our salaries but we were told to wait.“Our fear is that we might not get our money from the club. We have told them that we will report the matter to the players’ union and we expect the union to assist us.” he added.NANPF Secretary-General, Austin Popo, thereafter confirmed to the news outlet that they have not received any complaints from the players. In his words, Popo said:“We have already told all players who were not paid after being sacked by their clubs to come to us with their contract details. We will ensure that they get their entitlements. The clubs have to pay them after sacking them.”Source: Punch Related