With another competitive and intriguing Inter-secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA) Boys and Girls’ Athletics Championships just over three months away, Excelsior High School’s athletics fraternity is looking to make its 13th annual Wesley Powell Heart Institute of the Caribbean (HIC) track and field meet a massive one that will help them rally momentum to do well in 2016.The event, which was launched at Excelsior High yesterday, is set for Saturday, December 12.It is open to clubs and institutions, high, junior high and primary teams, with a total of 40 track and 28 field events billed for boys and girls from Classes One to Four.A team from The Cayman Islands has been specially invited for the meet. Olympian Grace Jackson will serve as meet director.Yesterday’s guest speaker, legendary sprint coach Glen Mills, who has conditioned six-time-Olympic gold medallist Usain Bolt at the Racers Track Club, said his charges won’t be participating but gave the meet high marks.”It’s too early for us,” said Mills of his Racers charges.”I think it’s an excellent meet. I was here last year, and I was very impressed, and it’s the kind of meet that you would need at this time of the year to evaluate where you are and how your training programme has been going,” he told The Gleaner in an interview.”Excelsior must be congratulated for maintaining the format over the 13 years,” Mills said yesterday.Excelsior’s team is coached by Michael Vassell, while competitions directors are David Riley and Xavier Gilbert.Heart Institute of the Caribbean is in its second year of a $10-million sponsorship, and will be awarding gift certificates to winners.”At HIC and HIC Foundation, activities such as these form a very important part of our outreach to the nation. We are keen on this because it concerns the care and well-being of our young people,” said Lisa D’Oyen, executive director of HIC.The meet was first staged in 1998 to honour Wesley Powell, the founding principal of Excelsior High School.
But then in the fifth inning Juan Rivera ignited the somnolent crowd at Angel Stadium with a home run. And then in the sixth inning Bengi Molina increased the volume with a two-out single that tied up matters. Well, it took a while, but after 13 innings of frustration against the New York Yankees across two warm evenings, the Los Angeles Angels of dearly beloved Anaheim finally started playing like the team that stormed into the playoffs and left the Oakland A’s and a lot of other victims sprawled haplessly in their wake throughout September. Trailing 2-0 on Wednesday night after 4 ½ innings to the New York Yankees and looking as feeble against Chien-Wing Wang as they did in Game 1 against Mike Mussina, the Angels seemed destined to suffer the same evil fate they did a year ago in the playoffs when they were swept by the Boston Red Sox. Naturally, George Steinbrenner, continuing to arrogantly eschew Bud Selig’s mantra of fiscal sanity, went out in the offseason and obscenely increased his bloated payroll to more than $200 million by bringing in such high-priced free agents as Randy Johnson ($15.5 million), Carl Pavano ($9 million) and Jaret Wright ($5.6 million) to enhance a pitching staff that betrayed the Yankees against the Boston Red Sox last October. Johnson, who will start against the Angels on Friday night at Yankee Stadium, did well with his 17-8, 3.79 ERA, 211-strikeout production, although such numbers are modest when measured against his glittering Cy Young past seasons. Pavano (4-6, 4.77) and Wright (5-5, 6.08), both of whom were hampered by injuries, turned out to be total busts, but it didn’t make any difference since a couple midseason additions to the New York roster, Aaron Small, a 33-year-old journeyman brought up from Columbus on July 17 who wound up going 10-0, and Shawn Chacon, who was acquired from Colorado on July 28 and wound up going 7-3, turned out to be even better. While Steinbrenner hasn’t been able to buy himself a world championship in recent years his team hasn’t won a World Series since 2000 it’s not that he hasn’t tried, much to the delight of one of his other pitching disappointments, Kevin Brown, the perennially injured fellow who heisted $15.7 million from Steinbrenner for dispensing a horrid 4-7 record with a 6.50 ERA. And the same goes for Steinbrenner’s counterpart in Anaheim, Arte Moreno, who wants to win a World Series just as desperately as Steinbrenner but refuses to pursue the same financial excessiveness. Lest you think Moreno oversees a shoestring operation, forget it. He does have a $95 million payroll, and went out in recent years and handed out considerable chunks of money to the likes of Vladimir Guerrero ($70 million), Bartolo Colon ($51 million), Orlando Cabrera ($32 million), Kelvim Escobar ($18 million) and Steve Finley ($14 million). But the Angels are pikers compared to the Yankees, whose turnabout in recent weeks isn’t a surprise in light of their lordly roster of players that, ironically, includes one vital contributor, the rookie second baseman Robinson Cano, earning the major-league minimum of $316,000. Cano, a 22-year-old Dominican, has been harassing the Angels, with his three-run, first-inning double in Game 1 providing the Yankees with their 4-2 victory and his second-inning double Wednesday night getting his team off to a 1-0 lead. But this time the Yankees’ lead didn’t last. This time the Angels rallied spectacularly, as they did so often three years ago during their World Series drive when they rebounded from opening-game playoff losses against the Yankees, Minnesota Twins and San Francisco Giants. This time the Yankees’ pitching and defense faltered, and the Angels came up with all the vital hits in the crisis situations. This time the Rally Monkey didn’t betray the Angels. This time the Angels turned the clock back to 2002, which is what they did those final five innings Wednesday night when they showed the Yankees they weren’t ready for a meek surrender. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe top 10 theme park moments of 2019 And then in the seventh that old-time, 2002 magic returned to the Anaheim fun house, as Orlando Cabrera, who tormented the Yankees last October when he was with the Red Sox, did so again with a two-out single that drove in two runs to give the Angels a 4-2 advantage that Kelvim Escobar and then Frankie Rodriguez would preserve in what turned out to be a 5-3 victory that evened the best-of-5 AL Division Series at 1-1. And so, the Angels, who were dangling on the precipice and were facing the harrowing prospect of having to go back to New York down 0-2, are once again breathing strongly and confidently after a game in which they demonstrated the defining trait of the Mike Scioscia Era resilience and toughness. Oh, did the Angels show it Wednesday night against a Yankees team that slowly unraveled, committing three errors that contributed mightily to the hometown heroes’ welfare. Molina, the Angels’ slow-footed but clutch-hitting catcher, climaxed his team’s scoring in the eighth inning with a home run that provided a cushion for Rodriguez, who did yield a ninth-inning homer to Jorge Posada but nothing else to a Yankees team that seems so imposing with its glittering lineup of performers that one wonders how it ever loses a game. I mean, please, the Yankees are overflowing with talented multi-millionaire jocks, with seven of their everyday starters earning immense annual salaries, led by Alex Rodriguez’s $25.7 million, followed by Derek Jeter’s $19.6 million, Jason Giambi’s $13.4 million, Gary Sheffield’s $11.5 million, Jorge Posada’s $11 million and Hideki Matsui’s $8 million.
Barcelona’s signing of Malcom has caused controversy. The winger arrived last week in a €41 million deal , despite the fact that both Bordeaux and Roma had announced the player would be moving to the Stadio Olimpico this summer.The Catalans’ late interest in the 21-year-old Brazilian even sparked some suggestions that the club had been unaware of him until Roma’s sporting director Monchi made his move, while the nature of the deal also raises serious doubts over Barca’s strategy in the transfer market.Coach Ernesto Valverde had wanted to sign Antoine Griezmann from Atletico Madrid and everyone at Barca was sure the France forward would arrive at Camp Nou this summer. There were even indications from the player that he would be joining. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Man Utd ready to spend big on Sancho and Haaland in January Who is Marcus Thuram? Lilian’s son who is top of the Bundesliga with Borussia Monchengladbach Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! But Griezmann accepted a huge offer to stay at Atleti that will see him bring in around €23m after tax every year and his decision, announced in a documentary at the start of the World Cup, meant Barca had to think again.So after signing midfielder Arthur from Gremio earlier in the summer and then bringing in centre-back Clement Lenglet from Sevilla , they swooped to recruit Malcom to bolster their forward line for 2018-19. The Brazilian is undoubtedly an exciting player who was wanted by a number of clubs across Europe, although not seemingly by Barca until right at the last minute (although they were aware of him), and not by Valverde. Asked about his new winger in his first press conference of the pre-season, Valverde gave a somewhat awkward response. “He is a player the club has known for some time and in the end they have decided to sign him,” he said. “He is a young player, with future projection, and the club decided to sign him.” It was not a very convincing statement and one which did not suggest harmony between the technical team, now led by former left-back Eric Abidal after Robert Fernandez left in June, and the coaching staff. Malcom, who hit the winning penalty against Tottenham after a 2-2 draw in the teams’ International Champions Cup clash on Saturday night , will now line up against Roma, the side he snubbed to join Barca, in Texas on Tuesday .Roma were also the team that knocked Barcelona out of the Champions League last season and Valverde surprisingly left out Ousmane Dembele of his line-up in both legs of that away-goals loss, only throwing on the France forward for the final few minutes as the Blaugrana sought a late goal in the Italian capital.That was despite the fact that Philippe Coutinho, signed in January from Liverpool, was cup-tied and unable to feature in the Champions League after playing in the group stages of the competition with the Reds earlier in the season.Certainly there was a sense that Valverde did not trust Dembele when it mattered most and there were even reports that he could leave the Catalan club after an injury-interrupted first season at Camp Nou. An unremarkable World Cup – despite France winning the tournament – where Dembele barely featured in the knockouts after a poor group stage did little to repair his reputation.The signing of Malcom has only intensified speculation surrounding his future, but Abidal said last week: “Dembele is important. We absolutely count on him. [He and Malcom] are players who play in the same position, but the seasons are long and we are thinking of the club. Dembele can be relaxed, he is important.”One of the concerns over the former Borussia Dortmund attacker last season was a perceived lack of defensive discipline, but the club are sure he will benefit from a full pre-season and believe he can continue to adapt in this coming campaign.”We hope it’s his season,” Valverde said on Friday. “He has to give us a lot of things, he is an extraordinary player. Last year was unfortunate because of the injury he had, but even then he gave us a lot.”Having paid an initial €105m for Dembele a year ago, Barca are definitely not ready to give up on the France forward, now a World Cup winner and still only 21, but it is likely that he and Malcom will be in direct competition for a starting spot for the Catalan club in 2018-19.
WASHINGTON – An Air Canada flight from Toronto to Washington was forced to make an emergency landing Sunday evening after smoke was discovered in the cockpit.Flight 7618 was headed for Ronald Reagan airport when pilots discovered the smoke and diverted to Washington’s Dulles International Airport.Sky Regional, which operates Air Canada Express, says 63 passengers and four crew members were unharmed after exiting the plane on the tarmac at Dulles.Images posted online show emergency vehicles parked on the tarmac as passengers gather nearby.Andrew Trull, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, says passengers were evacuated via an emergency slide and taken to the main terminal.He says there were no delays as a result of the incident, and all runways are now back up and running normally.