Supporters of Yazmin Elias call for her release in San Francisco on May 11.Bulletin: Yazmin Elias was released from jail on May 15.After a “successful” bail hearing at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Detention Center in San Francisco, family and community members were anxiously awaiting the release of domestic violence survivor Yazmín Elias outside the West County Detention Center in Richmond, Calif., on May 11.Instead, according to a May 12 press release issued by her supporters, they learned that “local entanglement with ICE [Immigration and Customs Enforcement] had led to a bizarre ‘catch-22’ which unfairly blocked Yazmín’s release.“Specifically, during the 15 months that ICE has detained Ms. Elias in Richmond, she has, of course, been physically unable to attend local court hearings in Sonoma [a California city some 40 miles from Richmond]. Yet, local warrants were issued for Yazmín’s arrest, despite the fact she was locked up in ICE custody.”Elias is now being held in the Sonoma County Jail and is to be seen by a judge on May 16. Her public defender, Luis Reyes Savalza, expects her to be released at that time.“I was already packed up and ready to see my children, and having to deal with this, I’m just so frustrated because they keep playing with my life,” Elias said after receiving the news.A survivor of domestic violence for nearly two decades and the mother of three children who are U.S. citizens, Elias migrated to Santa Rosa when she was four years old. On May 13, she was finally granted a $25,000 bond by Immigration Judge Scott Simpson; an anonymous donor agreed to post it.The May 12 press release states, “Her detention by ICE, despite a local judge ordering her released to continue a substance abuse treatment program for survivors of domestic violence, has sparked serious concerns from advocates of domestic violence survivors.“Community groups also continue to express opposition to the deportation policies of sheriffs in both Sonoma, where Yazmín was turned over to ICE, and Contra Costa [County, Calif.], which maintains a lucrative contract to detain people for ICE. Both sheriffs met with anti-immigrant Attorney General Jeff Sessions prior to his confirmation [as U.S. Attorney General], causing significant controversy.”The California Sheriff’s Association actually wrote a letter in support of Sessions’ nomination. It was signed by Alameda County Sheriff Gregory Ahern, who has also faced numerous community protests for his cooperation with ICE.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thisFacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare this
Receive email alerts Organisation Help by sharing this information April 15, 2021 Find out more RSF_en Alarm after two journalists murdered in Brazil May 13, 2021 Find out more April 27, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Brazil News BrazilAmericas News Reporters Without Borders today voiced its concern about the 3 June death of journalist Melyssa Martins Correia (picture) of Oeste Notícias in Presidente Prudente (a town in São Paulo state), in a murder that appears to have been prompted by the daily’s coverage of a criminal organisation.Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard asked Sao Paulo governor Geraldo Alckim in a letter to personally ensure that the murder was thoroughly investigated and that journalists were protected.Martins Correia, 23, the editor of the newspaper’s cultural supplement, was shot in the head at point-blank range. Still alive when found by police, she died while being rushed to hospital.The killer fled by commandeering a car and getting the driver to take him to the neighbouring state of Mato Grosso do Sul. On the way, he reportedly told the driver, Fábio César Padoves, that he had been paid to kill the journalist, and that the murder of a judge, Antonio José Machado, in March was also a paid hit. Oeste Notícias had covered the judge’s murder extensively, blaming it on a São Paulo criminal organisation known as Primero Comando da Capital or PCC, whose activities have often been the subject of reports in the newspaper.Oeste Noticias’ editor, Adolfo Padilha, said that, a week before her death, Martins Correia had covered a promotional event in a supermarket reportedly owned by PCC member. Police raided the supermarket the same evening and closed it down the next day. Padilha said he suspected the PCC may have thought Martins Correia went to the supermarket to get information and on their activities and to denounce them.The police superintendent in charge of the investigation, Cacildo Galindo, has said theft may have been the motive for her murder, as her mobile phone and purse were taken. to go further BrazilAmericas RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America Reports News 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies June 5, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalist murdered in São Paulo state
Newsx Adverts Need for issues with Mica redress scheme to be addressed raised in Seanad also Facebook WhatsApp WhatsApp Google+ RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Previous articleWoman shot in DerryNext articleDerry woman remains in a critical condition following shooting News Highland Guidelines for reopening of hospitality sector published Facebook Almost 10,000 appointments cancelled in Saolta Hospital Group this week Google+ Pinterest LUH system challenged by however, work to reduce risk to patients ongoing – Dr Hamilton Councillor wants safety measures for children using Ballymacool Park By News Highland – May 20, 2012 Pinterest Twitter Twitter Calls for maternity restrictions to be lifted at LUH Business Matters Ep 45 – Boyd Robinson, Annette Houston & Michael Margey Letterkenny Town Council officials have been tasked with improving safety at Ballymacool Park with one councillor concerned a child could be injured or killed if action isn’t taken.Councillor Dessie Larkin raised the issue after reports of children chasing balls which escaped the park on to the Glenswilly Road.He wants officials to to seek a solution to the problem.Councillor Larkin says he himself has seen children running out on to the road:[podcast]http://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/desball.mp3[/podcast]
News PSNI and Gardai urged to investigate Adams’ claims he sheltered on-the-run suspect in Donegal By News Highland – November 27, 2012 Google+ European court judgement due on Pringle’s ESM case Dail hears questions over design, funding and operation of Mica redress scheme Twitter Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry Google+ Facebook Twitter Man arrested in Derry on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences released HSE warns of ‘widespread cancellations’ of appointments next week Pinterest Previous articleMilton Keynes arrest as part of Kerr murder investigationNext articleYouth Council AGM today with nominations rather than elections News Highland Facebook The Courts of Justice of the European Union will give a judgement today on the legal challenge brought by Donegal South West Deputy Thomas Pringle to Ireland’s use of the ESM.The independent TD brought the challenge to Europe’s highest court, in an attempt to prevent the government from accessing the European Stability Mechanism bailout fund to support Ireland’s banks.Thomas Pringle’s case centres on the 500-billion euro ESM fund, which the government wants to use to directly recapitalise AIB, Bank of Ireland and Permanent TSB.The Donegal South West TD argues that changes to the EU treaties to allow for the creation of the fund were not properly enacted.He also says that the changes to the treaties enable the ESM to override Europe’s no bailout clause.However the Irish government, supported by Germany and 10 other EU countries, the legal service of the European Council, European Commission and the European Parliament, argue that there was nothing improper in the changes.The Courts of Justice of the European Union will outline a judgement later today on Deputy Pringle’s legal challenge. WhatsApp WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Dail to vote later on extending emergency Covid powers Pinterest
Homepage BannerNews Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries January 9th Google+ Facebook WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Pinterest Previous articleLetterkenny University Hospital Breast Centre researchers receive awardNext articleKen Doherty will be Special Guest at Donegal Sport Star Awards News Highland Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Facebook Pinterest Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Twitter Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries January 9th:Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/0901news.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. WhatsApp Google+ Twitter DL Debate – 24/05/21 Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic By News Highland – January 9, 2018 News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme
LettersOn 19 Mar 2002 in Personnel Today This week’s lettersPlay your part in closing pay gap The Equal Opportunities Commission’s graduate pay research (News, 12 March)highlights the impact the gender pay gap has on well-qualified women at thestart of their careers. The report emphasises the urgent need for HR professionals to review theirpay systems. If employers want to recruit the brightest and the best, they needto demonstrate that they provide equal pay. Nearly half of young people (and 71 per cent of women) say their choice ofjob would be affected by an employer’s stance on equal pay. Pay inequalities affect women of all levels and all ages – full-time femaleworkers earn 18.5 per cent less per hour than men. The EOC is working to support those responsible for pay structures. Guidanceon pay reviews will be available on our website soon (www.eoc.org.uk). Andlater in the year, an Equal Pay Review Model and specification for payrollsystems, currently being piloted, will be introduced. These have been developed in response to what HR professionals and othershave been telling us – that they need easy-to-use practical tools to help carryout an effective pay review. Complacency is no excuse. Most organisations don’t think that they have aproblem until they examine how they pay their staff. We need to see moreemployers taking action to help tackle Britain’s appalling record on pay, whichis currently the worst in Europe. Julie Mellor Chairwoman, Equal Opportunities Commission Stress at work is no less of a crime While in total agreement with solicitor Sarah Lamont, and Gil Hitchon of theMental After Care Association (Legal and Letters, 12 March), I would remindemployers that there is more to the law on stress than the common law. The cases in the Court of Appeal do not alter the Criminal Law Health andSafety at Work Act requirements with regard to stress. Employers should stillrisk assess for stress being caused by the work environment, and to takeappropriate action to remove, reduce or alleviate any stress found. If employers were to obey the criminal law they would be protected fromaction under the common law. Ron Scott Director of strategy and planning, The Lancaster Group More to HR than talent tracking “If you don’t know where your talent lies, you could cut 10 per cent ofyour staff and lose 100 per cent of your value.” This comment by Brenda Wilson of William M Mercer (Features 26 February) istoo simplistic to hold any real meaning. There are more reasons as to why only one in three companies that offeredvoluntary redundancies in the last recession were profitable five years afterthe recession ended. These include product life cycles, training anddevelopment, compensation and benefits, advertising and marketing, and sectortrends. The business model is complicated and good HR professionals are aware of itscomplexities and deliver within it. Colin Rodden MCIPD MIMgt The Mosaic Initiative In search of an Oracle lli user Channel 4 has implemented Oracle HR and is looking to move up to version lliwith self-service functionality. My colleagues and I are keen to visit an organisation currently using thissystem, to discuss the pros and cons of upgrading. If you have installed Oracle and would like to share your experience withus, then contact me on 020-7306 6917 or at [email protected] Neale HR systems administrator, Channel Four Television Previous Article Next Article Comments are closed. Related posts:No related photos.
The most expensive property was a 4,256-square-foot townhouse at 328 Sackett Street. The four-bedroom single-family home, which features a private garage and terrace, had a last asking price of $6.85 million.On its tail was a duplex at 277 1st Street in Park Slope. The four-bedroom unit, which includes a rock climbing wall and floor-to-ceiling windows, was last asking $5.25 million.The sole co-op, a 2,250 square feet unit at 305 Eighth Avenue, was last asking $2.75 million.The median asking price for last week’s contracts was $2.75 million, and the average asking price was nearly $3.2 million. The average discount increased to 2 percent, up from zero the week before. These homes also spent some more time on the market, at an average of 197 days.Contact Cordilia James Message* Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare via Email Share via Shortlink Tags Email Address* brooklynco-opscondo marketNYC Luxury Markettownhouse market Share via Shortlink Full Name* 328 Sackett Street was the most expensive property this week. (Elliman)After weeks of townhouses reigning supreme, the number of luxury contracts for condos in Brooklyn made a comeback.There were 21 signed contracts last week for properties asking $2 million or more in the borough, according to Compass’ weekly report. The total sales volume sat at $66.7 million, compared to $81.7 million the week before across 24 deals.While last week’s biggest deals were predominantly for townhouses, this week’s report was a mixed bag, with 10 townhouses, 10 condos and one co-op.Read moreBrooklyn luxury contracts surge with $82M in deals$6.4M Cobble Hill townhouse tops list of Brooklyn luxury contractsBrooklyn Heights condo is borough’s priciest deal signed last week
Home » News » Agencies & People » Open verdict recorded after inquest into estate agent’s drowning previous nextAgencies & PeopleOpen verdict recorded after inquest into estate agent’s drowningThe body of Buckinghamshire agent Harpreet Gill was found in the River Jubilee near Taplow on March 18th March.Nigel Lewis17th July 202001,310 Views Mystery continues to surround the drowning of Buckinghamshire estate agent Harpreet Gill after an inquest into her death recorded an open verdict.The body of the 34-year-old estate agent was discovered two weeks after she was reported missing on March 1st this year and ten days after some of clothes were discovered at the side of the Jubilee River – a offshoot of the Thames – near the Buckinghamshire village of Dorney, approximately two miles from her home in Taplow.On March 3rd a women out jogging with her dog found a dark quilted jacket and a pair of black trainers on the bank of the river and contacted police.But it took another 15 days for her body to discovered by a kayaker on the river who spotted something in the water while returning to the bank in her boat.In a statement read out at the inquest she said she paddled over and realised it was a person when she saw an orange or brown T-shirt.During the inquest it was revealed that Gill had recently separated from her husband and had written expressions of sorrow in her notebook.Returning an open verdict, local media report that Bucks coroner Crispin Butler said: “We will never know the answer to how she came to be on that stretch of river [but] I don’t want to speculate on what her thought processes were.”harpreet gill crispin butler Buckinghamshire July 17, 2020Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021